Saturday, July 9, 2011

Yiqing Yin



Over a year ago, May 7th to be exact, I started writing a post on Paris-based designer Yiqing Yin. But then I got scared away by the 'Prohibited to reproduce for any other website' message that accompanied the only photos I could find of this designer's work, and so I left the post as a sad little draft, sans photos. And, I have to admit, after a few days of wistfully wishing I could share those photos, I did eventually forget about Yiqing altogether. Then today another post on Yiqing appeared on ASVOF, covering her haute couture A/W 11 collection presentation in Paris. And, lo and behold, Yiqing now has a website, with photos. The world makes sense again. 


Anyway, I love all the pleating and gathering and draping that is seen in all of Yiqing's pieces, but this dress in particular jumps out at me. Some of my favorite pieces in the Alexander McQueen Met exhibit were these two black dresses (the runway versions are pictured below) that featured extensive pleating in the neckline/yoke area and the sleeves (both from one of my favorite McQueen collections, being A/W 2006). The thing that really impressed me up close though which you can't see in the runway photos (and here's where my lack of formal education in sewing and design shows through) was that the pleated parts weren't separately sewn pieces, but rather all that pleated up fabric was allowed to open up past the designated areas to create lovely voluminous skirts, puffed sleeves, and Victorian style cuffs (and ruffs). That's what this dress by Yiqing reminds me of, as she achieves a similar end through smocking. And, yes, I know that it seems I'm just posting stuff that reminds me of McQueen, but I'm okay with that. Particularly as I've been wishing all morning that I were spending this dreary day at the Met. Sigh.


(McQueen photos via Style.com)


Related Posts