Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Deathly Kaftan



So tonight, I basically cried like a baby watching Alan Rickman play Severus Snape for the very last time. If you're interested in the Harry Potter books, you've already read them and know what part exactly I would've cried in, whether you like the movies or not (this is the only one I did like). And I won't spoil it for those of you who don't know yet. Anyway, one fashion-y thing I noticed was how much Voldemort's robes look like my beloved Verlaine kaftan. On the screen, it looked much more grey than in this movie poster, but you can see a bit here how the marbled/tie-dyed look is quite similar to the effect achieved by the extremely elaborate dying process of the Verlaine piece. And it looks like a high quality silk material too (at least on the big screen). My kaftan, however, does not shred and lengthen into ribbons with which I can bind my enemies whilst still remaining a very smartly dressed wizard. Sad, I know. But it is still pretty magical.

P.S. For all those saddened like me for not having more Alan Rickman/Snape to look forward to, rumor is the newest Coen brothers film that will be coming out next year stars Rickman. Sigh.


Related Posts