Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Nokomis, I hardly knew you



This week I've been obsessed with stopping by a grocery store or two to get some supplies, then coming home and looking up recipes to try my hand at. Then, basically two hours later, I've managed to make an outrageous mess in the kitchen and a meal that isn't exactly what I was hoping for. Next, I proceed to scarf it down while watching one or two or three episodes of Season 1 of The Wire, and wonder how I can like Dominic West so much after his less than honorable character in 300 (it's most likely the Irishness). 

Today, however, I managed to make something rather delicious, being Caramelized Tofu with Brussel Sprouts, and I managed to cook my own tofu pretty much perfectly (see photo above of my finished product). I'm not sure how well I did with the brussel sprouts, as it's the first time I've ever cooked or knowingly eaten them, but I do know that kids are too harsh on them. I got the recipe from here, and pretty much followed it except that I used a nutted pilaf instead of cooking walnuts with the tofu and garlic. I have no idea how to mince garlic with the one little paring knife I have, but I thought the resulting little candied garlic bits were rather awesome. I also have no idea how to chop cilantro with said paring knife, but I love love love the smell of cilantro too much to feel bad about that green massacre. It's a shame though that I read immediately after my meal that Nokomis, i.e. the brick and mortar store in my town, is closing in the New Year. Just when I was ready to make the resolution to buy more Canadian, and to buy local. Raise a glass with me and sigh.


Related Posts