Saturday, October 2, 2010

Stacey Grant - Prologue: Inheritance



Ah, it's so nice to feel human again. I finally feel up to par AND had a day off on the most gorgeous of fall days, so I made the most of it. I clothed myself in a Yohji S/S 11 inspired outfit, being my Liza Rietz cowl dress over top of a most perfect mydearthing slip dress that you should all hope to see very soon with Lauren's upcoming fall collection, topped with a thin cotten/linen black cardigan and my black monochrome Converse shoes. 'Twas lovely. Then this little outfit took me to get some fresh organic fruit, homemade saskatoon berry perogies, and a veggie hot dog, which I ate while being serenaded by a cowboy doing a pretty excellent cover of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game". I don't think I could ever live in a different area of town. Sigh. 

And speaking of feeling human, it also seems like the perfect day to post an update on our favorite Irish fashion grad student, Stacey Grant. For her MA collection, entitled "Prologue: Inheritance", Stacey continued her use of her father's menswear patterns, and even included some of his handwritten notions digitally printed onto a few of these pieces. These jackets (above) have such a great depth to them with the family history behind the patterns, and the fresh use of lace and other transparent materials bring just the right amount of femininity to the otherwise masculine pieces.


I'm quite glad that Stacey also brought her draping skill to this collection (above), as that dress that first introduced me to Stacey's work is still one of the most beautiful dresses I've ever seen. My favorite here (above, 2nd photo) is the brilliant pairing of the deconstructed vest/bolero with the very polished and expertly draped evening gown (not to mention that lovely chandelier crystal necklace that reminds me of my grandmother's lamp). Though that high-waisted skirt may just be the loveliest red skirt ever to go down a runway...


And lastly, these red knit/strung dresses (above) were a surprise to see from Stacey, but a very pleasant one at that, especially when paired with these grey deconstructed vests. I can't wait to see where Stacey goes from here, especially as Stacey was one of twelve MA students from Kingston University that were selected to show at London Fashion Week's Vauxhall Fashion Scout (the exhibition that introduced Alexandra Groover to the world). And by "." I mean "!" - congratulations Stacey on such an honour! It's quite deserved.


Related Posts