Sunday, September 19, 2010

I ♥ NY


After telling stories about my trip for a week now, it's become apparent that my favorite memories of my vacation had to do with people. Most people visit NYC to shop, but really I barely bought anything (being a brilliant pair of Ravishing Mad jeans, a tank top from OAK which was needed because I had overdressed that day, the requisite I  NY tee and coffee mug, and a tote bag from the New York Public Library). I also didn't take nearly as many photos as I could have, as I figured I could just Google the customary tourist photos if I felt the need. But I am kicking myself for not taking any pictures of the Brooklyn neighbourhood that I stayed in, as it was really a lovely area that isn't the normal tourist destination. And I didn't take one picture of two of the most hospitable people I've ever met, or of any of the friendly locals I encountered. But those were the best parts of my trip: The many people who helped me out if I got turned around, or at least made me smile just by listening to them talk to a complete stranger on the subway. The woman who gave me the best corn on the cob ever and a chocolate bar out of her purse on the train platform since it was apparent that I wouldn't survive the 3.5 hour train ride back without some food. The 2nd generation New Yorker and the rabbi who were rather eager to share the story of a of a mural I had photographed in the Lower East Side. The elderly gentleman who was happy to share his love of the opera with me. And of course (and the absolute highlight of my trip) being able to go home at the end of a long day of walking until I couldn't walk anymore, to two people (and three cats) who welcomed me into their home without a having met me in person before. Those are the things that have gotten me hooked on traveling. And I think a trip back to NY is due rather soon.



Related Posts